The men and women of the FCVFD are dedicated to our critical missions – preserving life and property, and engaging in public education, in Falls Church and our neighboring communities.
- Our certified volunteer EMTs operate ambulances on most weekends and during special events such as the Falls Church Memorial Day Festival and Parade and local Independence Day celebrations.
- FCVFD personnel staff apparatus with career Arlington County firefighters and paramedics at the Falls Church fire station and throughout Arlington County to provide extra assistance on fire and EMS calls.
- We also respond to major fires and other large incidents to provide a helping hand to Arlington and other neighboring emergency response agencies through mutual aid agreements.
- Our apparatus includes a fire engine, two basic life support ambulances staffed by our volunteers, an advanced life support ambulance staffed by full time Arlington County Paramedics and two first response utility vehicles.
- Throughout the year, FCVFD personnel work with local schools, houses of worship, scout groups, and other community organizations to provide thousands of men, women, and children with critical information about preventing and surviving fires and other emergencies.
- In 2016 alone, FCVFD volunteers logged nearly 18,000 hours of service to the community, including more than 1,000 hours of fire and life safety education.
Our funding needs are extensive
Some (but not all) of our needs include:
- Replacement of our frontline Medic Unit every five years, for $250,000
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), or our “fire gear,” which costs $2500 per person and must be replaced every 10 years … we purchase about five sets each year to be on schedule
- Annual maintenance of our defibrillators, for about $3000 per year
- Physical exams for each of our members, per National Fire Protection Association standards, for between $1000 and $2000 per member each year
- Air compressor maintenance and testing, for $3000 each year
We depend upon your contributions more than ever to sustain our operations. FCVFD is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization, making your contributions tax deductible to the fullest extent permitted by law.